Search This Blog

Friday 23 March 2012

A Walk around Audlem

Recently we enjoyed a visit to Audlem in Cheshire. I was keen to have a look at the village, not only but it has a famous set of canal locks, but also because I think some of my Dickman ancestors lived near there briefly in the 1820s. The parish church is on a high mound, and has a commanding view of the many pretty old buildings in the village.
Audlem is on the Shropshire Union Canal, and we had a lovely walk along the towpath. The old mill near the wharf is now a canal shop with gifts and books; many thanks to Chris and Peter for their warm welcome. I signed some copies of my book Tracing Your Canal Ancestors while I was in the shop, so do contact the Canal Bookshop just in case if they have any left.
Audlem is also home to a Festival of Transport with narrow boats and vintage vehicles; the festival is on 29 July this year.

Images:
The parish church of St James the Great, Audlem.
Audlem Mill, formerly Kingbur Mill.
Canal boats on the Shropshire Union.

No comments: